I have not been journaling as much I would like to be recently. I am spread very thin these days, so when I manage any sort of freedom from my obligations, I spend my time being as worthless as possible. To be honest, the only reason I am writing this right now is because there is currently a snow storm in Pedro Bay, and I am unable to go play outside. (I realize I could go, but I would rather lie on my couch in sweats than exert the time and energy in bundling-up appropriately to adequately face the weather.)
The elementary teacher (Jess) and I have elected to take a distance anthropology course this semester from the University of Alaska Fairbanks. In order to get your permanent Alaska teaching certificate, the state requires you to take an Alaska Geography and a Native Cultures of Alaska course within three years of your first teaching placement here. We are currently taking Native Cultures of Alaska as a year-long paper-based course. I love it; I find it absolutely fascinating, and I honestly and thoroughly enjoy doing the work necessary to complete the assignments. Alaska is a different planet compared to what we are use to in the Lower 48. (I sometimes supplement my journal posts with papers I have written for the course. I hope you are reading them, and you find the information as absolutely fascinating as I do. I also hope to enlighten people about the rich cultural diversity in Alaska. Not all Alaska Natives are Eskimos, nor do they live in igloos. Actually, "Eskimo" is considered a derogatory term.)
I spend much of the time on evenings and weekends working on this course. I have also been preparing for the Middle School Math Praxis II Test, which I have elected to take next month. If I pass, I this will certify me in both Pennsylvania and Alaska to teach Middle School Math…
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


YOU ARE ONE OF THE COOLEST PEOPLE I'VE EVER KNOWN.
ReplyDelete