An immeasurable amount of sincere appreciation and admiration goes to my Curriculum Coach. No matter how much she disagrees with me about the merit, her relentless support efforts are a colossal contribution to my success in the classroom and adjustment to bush life. She has become both a trusted colleague and a beloved friend.
The most difficult part of this year for me was the lack of support. The only other teacher on site is the elementary school teacher, and she is also new to Alaska and first-year teacher. All of our other support staff is itinerant (travels from place to place), and is only here for a short visit once every couple of months (if that, and weather permitting). Admittedly, I have an awesome district, and anyone I ask for help is (usually) more than willing to give it, but I have to know what questions to ask, and who the best person would be to answer those questions… Consistently, that person has been Ms. Katy Jurney-Davey. In addition to being my curriculum support, she also spent last year in Pedro Bay as the Elementary School Teacher at Dena’ina School, so she also has first-hand knowledge of my students and the village.
We met at the Teacher In-Service back in August. I had the pleasure of being assigned to room with the sassy Northern California Native. (I later learned that there is hostility from Northern Californians towards Southern Californians because “they are stealing all our water.”) We clicked instantly; finding that we shared the common experience of having been on the rowing team, and bonding over shared stories of similar happenings. From there, we learned that we are also the products of a similar home-life. Both of our mothers are hippies, and both of our fathers are super Conservative; my father being in finance, and her father a colonel. (The cliché’s and stereotypes associated with these descriptions are entirely appropriate, and purposely not being elaborated upon in detail, so no one is offended.)

I am constantly amused and fascinated with Ms. Jurney-Davey’s level of awesomeness. I adore how the spunky red-head contradicts everything I was taught to be considered appropriate, when “maintaining a professional appearance.” She prefers to teach in flip-flops (even when there is snow on the ground), does not make attempts to conceal her tattoos, and has yet to remove her tongue piercing; yet, she maintains an extremely high level of professionalism at all times when at the work place. For example, she is constantly reminding me that she cannot tell me certain things because information shared between her and administrators about me is confidential….
I hit an exceptionally rough period in January/February. Recognizing that I was in danger of drowning in my own negativities, she changed around her schedule, and came to Dena’ina School to help us out on both personal and professional levels. She gave me the constructive criticism I so desperately needed, and then we revamped my implementation of the curriculum. She even taught a couple of my classes, so I could see her interpretation of the curriculum, which is a luxury I cannot normally indulge in.
Katy decided she needed to return, seven days later, to ensure I had a handle on things because she felt she threw too much information at me to immediately digest. I had dumped my heart and soul into IMMEDIATELY implementing everything in between her visits. By the time she returned, I was hanging on mentally, physically, and emotionally only by a thread…After another failed attempt at support from administration, I ended-up having my first and only breakdown that week….My breakdown came complete with crying in the supply closet.
Ms. Jurney-Davey decided it was time for a pep talk, Katy style. I was told I need to stop being so sensitive “because you are in the wrong profession if you think you are going to make everyone happy all the time.” She continued, “I am going to tell you what I told my six-year-old niece: "You need to be the seal. You need to have thick skin, and let all the bullshit roll off you like water. You are here for the kids; ONLY worry about the kids.” Ever since, I have received nothing but “tough love.”
Since the seal metaphor, I have been more confident in my abilities and my purpose. It has been eight months since I first arrived here, and it has only been recently that I feel like I know what is going on.



You have touched my heart, Amanda. This is beautiful and your kind words are incredibly appreciated. Much love, my dear!
ReplyDeleteNext year will be better. :)
ReplyDelete